ban appeal

Your Character or Steam Name: Jalopy22222

Your SteamID (Click to retrieve): STEAM_0:0:511374435

Your Discord ID#: motherfucking

Reason for ban: ARDM

Length of ban: 3 days

Reason for appeal (dispute/apology): It wasn't ARDM.

Why should you be unbanned?: I was banned for ARDM on the basis that I tried to kill someone when they were an idle threat, this isn't true. Here's the context.

Me and two of my friends were driving around, we stopped next to the church so that I could sell some weed to the NPC. Coincidentally, a player who we've had repeated incidents with is standing right there and pulls a gun when we arrive. Thinking that we're about to get shot, I also pull a gun, and she runs around the corner, heading towards Little Italy. I follow, and as she's running down the hill, I fire off a few shots, which I'm not even sure hit her, and then she turns around and stares back at me. I realize that she wasn't gonna do shit, so I stop firing and got outta there.

The entire basis of her argument is that she was an idle threat and that it was ARDM because of that. The definition of RDM in the rules themselves is 'randomly killing players', and the rules regarding the difference between an active threat and an idle threat state: 'Users may kill for an active threat but they may not kill for an idle threat'. Neither was the act random, because in the sit that followed she admitted to the fact that we had prior history and that she pulled the gun because she 'didn't want to get mugged', nor was it even a kill, emphasized by the fact that I stopped firing because I realized it would constitute a rule break if I did kill her, and that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

If it was ARDM, then I would've kept firing, because it would've been my intention to just randomly kill a player, but that clearly isn't the case. Her reasoning for pulling a gun is completely hypocritical; it's excusable for her to resort to pulling a weapon when she believes that I intend to mug her, based entirely upon the beef we've had, but when I see this and respond in kind due to the same reasoning, I get in trouble? It's ludicrous. I was given the space of a few seconds to reason whether or not she had the intention of starting a shootout, or just put her gun on safety, which I couldn't even identify because she immediately ran behind a corner.

Additional Information (images, videos, etc): I don't have a clip, but no doubt either her or the admin that handled the sit will reply soon enough with the clip she provided, which will prove my points.

Edited by motherfucking
  • Like 1

Hello, Banning staff here,

I banned you because I was provided with this clip (https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/i8oeyid03JJipOa8-/d1337U6CHTAz?invite=cr-MSxleTMsMjIyMDYyOTE3LA) of you trying to kill someone for no valid reason.

You said the reason you shot them was because they had a gun out and you thought they were gonna do smth to you or your friends, but you can see if the clip that this person turned away when pulling out their gun and putting it on safety and walking away, at that point when they had walked a good bit away you started to shoot at them and stopped.

You had no valid reason to shoot them from the beginning as i explained in the sit that they were an idle threat and not an active one. Even if its a person you are beefing with has a gun on safety doesnt mean you get to kill em. Even if they accidentally point it at you.

• Disagree 3
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, okyes said:

Hello, Banning staff here,

I banned you because I was provided with this clip (https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/i8oeyid03JJipOa8-/d1337U6CHTAz?invite=cr-MSxleTMsMjIyMDYyOTE3LA) of you trying to kill someone for no valid reason.

You said the reason you shot them was because they had a gun out and you thought they were gonna do smth to you or your friends, but you can see if the clip that this person turned away when pulling out their gun and putting it on safety and walking away, at that point when they had walked a good bit away you started to shoot at them and stopped.

You had no valid reason to shoot them from the beginning as i explained in the sit that they were an idle threat and not an active one. Even if its a person you are beefing with has a gun on safety doesnt mean you get to kill em. Even if they accidentally point it at you.

Again, this clip just proves my point.

You can see in the clip that she immediately reloads her gun upon pulling it out, further adding to my point that I believed we were in imminent danger. When she does finish reloading, she immediately begins to run; you cannot tell the difference between a gun on safety and a gun not on safety when someone is running. Even if it was on safety when she was reloading, that doesn't mean anything, because then she immediately sprints around the corner, making me think that she's getting into cover.

I turned the corner when she was already halfway down the hill, and again, she was still running when I was shooting. Even if her back is turned, and no matter how far away she is, you still can't make the argument that I knew for sure that she was an idle threat, because I was not aware that her gun was on safety, and nowhere in the rules does it stipulate that how far a person is from you, what direction they are facing, or where they are going contributes to them being an idle threat.

And again, you've completely ignored her hypocritical argument. She, and I'd like to reiterate that she admitted this, pulled a gun because she believed we were a threat, which is entirely based on the context that we have had beef, yet she's arguing that this same logic doesn't apply to me and that I can't be given the benefit of the doubt.

You refuse to look at any of this from my perspective.

Edited by motherfucking

You make arguments claiming that it's "Unclear" that the weapon is on safety but from the video provided it seems pretty conclusive given that she pulls the weapon while not facing you, reloads while not facing you, then begins leaving only then looking behind her as she leaves, weapon on safety. 

12 hours ago, motherfucking said:

she admitted to the fact that we had prior history and that she pulled the gun because she 'didn't want to get mugged'

Her reasoning for pulling a gun is completely hypocritical; it's excusable for her to resort to pulling a weapon when she believes that I intend to mug her, based entirely upon the beef we've had,

This is irrelevant, as stated in the killing rules, weapons on safety are still an idle threat and further more she never actually threatened you, she did not say anything, nor point the weapon directly at you. You attacked her operating on the assumption she was somehow threatening you, which this obviously does not meet the criteria. If anything a prior history between you two only validates her logical reasoning for having a weapon out on safety, fearful of a mug (not that one is needed. A player can have a weapon on safety whenever they feel like).

but when I see this and respond in kind due to the same reasoning, I get in trouble? It's ludicrous.

This is not responding in kind. She never attacked / shot at / damaged you in anyway. Your 'response' was overtly over-reactive.

intention to just randomly kill a player

RDM obviously includes cases and situations in which you kill or attempt to kill a player for a non valid reason as defined by killing rules.

was given the space of a few second to reason whether or not she had the intention of starting a shootout, or just put her gun on safety, which I couldn't even identify because she immediately ran behind a corner.

Intention here is irrelevant since she never pointed the weapon at you and actively left the area. Once you turned the corner giving chase you could easily see she was well a ways away. That's not the reaction of someone making a split second decision like you attempt to frame it here. You consciously followed her as she left the 'situation' to then open fire at her.

While the argument of 'I could not tell if the gun was on safety' can at times be compelling it does elude the fact that no threat or threatening interaction took place nor the fact that she removed herself from your space, actively walking away, the least threatening thing a person could do.

To reiterate key factors to help you better understand.

• Players do not need a reason for a weapon to be on safety. 
  • She never threatened or attacked you. Yet you attacked her (meaning the argument is not hypocritical)
  • She ran far away back turned and was not an active threat in any manner.
  • You can't shoot someone believing they are threat, they need to be an actual threat. (Again, she did not shoot you)

I think you have a severe and fundamental misunderstanding of the killing rules (based on POs as well) and attempt to argue in bad faith to justify your actions, whereas a simple acknowledgement of the facts and actually LEARNING the rules would better you in the long term.

However I do recognize that you did stop firing in the end.

Read the damn rules!

Your ban appeal has been reviewed and accepted.

The ban will be reduced to 1 day.

• Disagree 1