PK Appeal

Name of Character: Wan "Frankie" Li

SteamID:  76561197983043506

Your Discord ID#: 726967844553883790

Date of PK: 5/10/24 6:45 central time

Reason for PK: My friend and I were walking to get our vehicles and heard what sounded like restraints near motel. We own room 10 and decided to check. When we approached the room we saw someone tied up and multiple normal looking people inside. My first assumption was that some muggers had decided to use our room since it was probably still unlocked from map change, or that it was one of our guys being tied up, possibly as a joke. I decided to pull my revolver out to be safe. It was pointing the direction I was looking due to that being how weapons work in the game upon first pulling a weapon out. We are immediately met with suppressed automatic fire and assume they are muggers and push in to protect our private property. One pushed out, gunfire is exchanged and I am killed. My friend is eventually killed as well.

Why should you be unPK'd? What server rule or PK rule was violated?: Neither of us knew they were cops, as they did not announce themselves as such and did not look like police officers. If we knew they were cops we would have let him get arrested and let the legal system play out, as we have many lawyers on staff.

Also, the officers fired first, prompting us to defend ourselves. We had no idea that was going on in the motel room, as if that even was one of our guys. they did not tip us off in game or otherwise.

If possible please provide video evidence or photo evidence if PK does not follow the guidelines:

https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/2co8fL9s0JPit6/d1337jkAbGqV?invite=cr-MSxrbmIsMjA3NjkwMTkwLA (my friends clip. I am the Frank he refers to)

IMG_6681.thumb.png.b87c4ba4e14e2f413ac9a2a9584efb15.png

• Like 1

I'm the administrator who dealt with your PK. If you felt like the raid on your morel room was illegal, there's different legal routes you could've taken to resolve the situation. You could've made an IA report on the officers involved. You could've sued the nypd or something else. Instead, you chose to go gung-ho and ended up paying the price for opening fire on the cops. Detectives are usually always in plain clothes with police badges on them. The 3 of you who engaged in the gunfight with the cops didn't have to shoot at the cops, but you did. Even pulling a gun that's not on safety on the cops makes you an active threat and thus the cops would've had clear reason to shoot you.

• Bad Spelling 1

I think it is unreasonable to think we can see their badges. The rules state I have to shoot first. Since they shot first, on our private property, that should be self defense and not a pk.

We did not know that was our guy either.

+1, nothing illegal was done, cops were lurking inside their property outside of uniform, with no way to identify them. 

Posted (edited)

Having my gun out while investigating a potential mugging in our company roomis a reasonable response in my eyes. I wish my friend had the part of the clip where we heard the restraints but unfortunately he does not.

The cops should have identified themselves or tried to deescalate instead of jumping to violence on, at best, an assumption I was involved. Cops should have a higher standard for using deadly force, especially when not looking like a cop in any way. The one who tried shooting me through the window did so when I was beside room 9, so one could reasonably assume I was going to that room as an alternative. 

Edited by Bama
Posted (edited)

As an addition, I wouldn't have shot first initially even if I planned (again didn't have enough to go on to shoot until shot at) to due to knowing that you can't shoot through that window.

Edited by Bama

Police cannot raid without a warrant
 -Exceptions apply if they have witnessed a severe felony, or someone is in distress, then they may use probable cause beyond a reasonable doubt to raid. 

Police may search a residence if they have probable cause. If you believe the police did not have probable cause to search a residence then it's something that is handled in character through formal reports or through courts. The Police claim they raided the group at the motel after witnessing them dropping drugs through an open window in plain view all the way from the gas station. This would satisfy probable cause to raid the room without a warrant. 

In the clip your partner provided you had your weapon drawn and in an actively pointing position. Based on this rule the police opened fire.

■ Breaking Fear RP while being detained by Police. If the police are detaining you for a crime and you break FEAR rp by pulling a weapon on them the NYPD are still within their right to react in self defense. This can and will be considered initiating a violent confrontation with police EVEN if you never managed to fire the weapon.

Pointing a weapon at PD cans till be considered initiating if there is reasonable suspicion of intended violence.

I find the reasons you approached the motel to be odd / not fitting in the timeline well.

However, based on possible bad visibility in this rare once in a lifetime opportunity I am willing to offer you the benefit of the doubt and will reverse this in good faith.

Your appeal has been reviewed and accepted.

Your character has been reinstated and can be used again.

• Like 1