Diverge Networks
Canal Boys application - Printable Version

+- Diverge Networks (https://divergenet.works/forums)
+-- Forum: 1980s Mafia Roleplay (https://divergenet.works/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Faction Applications (https://divergenet.works/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Forum: Denied (https://divergenet.works/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: Canal Boys application (/showthread.php?tid=5589)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Canal Boys application - v4mp_s0ulja - 05-09-2023

Name of Faction: Canal Boys
Number of Members (Minimum of 5): 20

Type Of Faction (Family, Triad, Street Gang, etc): Street Gang / Vietnamese Triad

Ethnic Background (ex: Italian, Greek, African American, Irish, etc): Asian, Asian American, Vietnamese, Cambodian

Server Preference (UnionCity or SouthSide): Southside

Your Discord # (ex: gamer#4210): m4cbookshawty#1738
Your SteamID: STEAM_0:1:635897677
Your Server playtime: 2w 4d 3h 23m, consistently like every day

Do you acknowledge that your faction discord will be owned and managed by the official DVN account? (Yes/No): : YES

-BACKSTORY-
The gang that would be known throughout Chinatown as the Canal Boys was founded by Thai Tho Hoang, who was born in Saigon on January 30, 1956. After the Fall of Saigon, with the help of his father, Dieu Thai, Thai left Vietnam as a refugee in May 1975, where he then made his way to the U.S. Eventually, hai found himself in Indiana, where he lived in a small home for boys that was owned by the local Lutheran church, but in May 1976, with $150 in his pocket, Thai ran away from the church house and hopped on a Greyhound bus destined for New York City. There, as a youth in New York City, Thai worked at various different jobs, ranging from being a busboy to being a dishwasher for a Manhattan restaurant, and in 1978, Thai met and married a fellow Vietnamese refugee. Struggling to provide for his new family however, Thai turned to crime, and in 1983, for a short period of time,  Thai was consigned as a member of the Vietnamese Flying Dragons, a small branch of the Flying Dragons gang, and as a gang member he occasionally committed robberies but was never caught. After a few years, Thai left the Flying Dragons and branched out on his own, establishing a budding multimillion-dollar counterfeit watch business.
 During the mid to late-eighties, many Vietnamese youths began arriving in New York City, and many of them, being ostracized by the Chinatown community, were homeless and lived on the fringes of the community. Using his newfound wealth, Thai began to assist these street youths by freely offering them advice, money and a place to stay, causing many of them to feel indebted to Thai and follow him, forming the beginnings of the gang.
In late 1980, law enforcement had cracked down on and weakened several of Chinatown's established gangs. The previous year, twenty-one members of the Ghost Shadows were arrested on racketeering charges. A few months later, eight members of the United Bamboo gang were arrested on similar charges, weakening Chinatown's traditional gang structure even further. With his watch business in place, Thai seized on the occasion by taking control of Canal Street, which would later become the gang's main base of operations. Using the profits from the watch enterprise,Thai organized a meeting between him and several high-ranking members of a Vietnamese street gang that called themselves the "Canal Boys"
Most of the gang's members were Vietnamese youths who were sent out of their country a few years after the Saigon government had collapsed, in which afterwards they then spent months or years in refugee camps before being put into foster families. These youths then left their foster families and banded together, forming the nucleus of what would become the Canal Boys gang. During the gang's reign of Chinatown from the late eighties and early nineties, the Pho Hanoi restaurant located in the gang's turf on Canal Street served as an informal headquarters and meeting grounds for the gang. The gang's prowess is often attributed to the chaotic environment of guns and drugs in Vietnam. Canal Boys challenged the authority of established Chinatown gangs. While identified by some as predominantly Vietnamese, the group consisted of New York native Vietnamese as well as immigrants new to the tri-state area, Thai and his operations birthed the Canal Street counterfeit market and made it a worldwide tourist visit location for bootlegged items.

On the quiet afternoon of April second, 1987, Thai was gunned down during a robbery gone wrong at the Pho Hanoi, where his assailants would rush the doors, lock him inside, and kill him after a failure to comply. This prompted Thai's estranged son, to move to to the United States and take over the business with his late father's right hand man, Mr. Long "Heat" Quân, who met his father in 1979 during a fender-bender related insurance dispute, in which both men emerged from their vehicles whilst drawing handguns, before realizing that they were both Vietnamese refugees. Since the dispute, the two of them instantly took a liking to each other and worked with each other until Thai Sr.'s passing. Mr Long "Heat" Quân is a Vietnamese refugee born in 1961 who's parents fled to NYC a few years after the start of the Vietnam War. In 1965 when he was just 4 years old his home was hit with one of the first uses of napalm, this resulted in the left side of his body being covered in burn scars. After this event forced him and his family from their home they fled to the NYC while Long barely held onto life. Growing up in NYC proved tough for a young Long Quân during the Vietnam war. He faced discrimination at every turn on top of being bullied for the scars from the napalm that forced him to need to toughen up. During his youth in NYC he had to learn to fight to defend himself and his honour. In 1978 at 17 he took his first life after a group of drunken men harassed him and his friend late one night, blaming 'his kind' for the death of their loved ones, after one of them pulled a knife he felt no choice but to defend his friend and himself. He fought with everything he had and took the life of one of the men in the process. The cops were called to the scene and arrived fast and but were unable to catch them before they disappeared into the night. His friend gave him the nickname "Heat" after this incident as a joke due to his heat in battle as well as in an attempt to mock his burn scars but Long took a liking to this name and wore it with pride as his life of criminality had just begun.
-Footnotes
Vietnamese is the majority language spoken in this group, so it would be nice to have it added in the game..

RE: Canal Boys application - Batty Chirps - 05-09-2023

+1 its got back story hopfully not written by gpt, i know m4cbook in game and he can be a bit of a mingy person but when times are right i know he can roleplay properly and him having a faction would a be a great chance for him to prove that.

RE: Canal Boys application - Fox - 05-09-2023

Changing to a -1, recently banned for RDM. IMO, not fit to run a faction.

Previous:
+/- I think it's a good idea, and I'm always game for more ethnicity but I think the formatting of this needs real work. I know it's not a requirement but I would take your text and put it into a google doc, you'll be able to break up the formatting a bit.

Also I don't think you should state in an application which racket you want, as you're not likely to get it.

RE: Canal Boys application - LoonaTM - 05-09-2023

+1, formatting needs work but great backstory, sounds very interesting

RE: Canal Boys application - moogrl - 05-09-2023

+1 Interesting idea, especially as only Japanese and Chinese gangs currently exist on the server as far as Asian gangs go. Would agree with Fox that it would be best to put the backstory in a doc or something similar, but that’s a pretty minor issue

RE: Canal Boys application - FrankKnight121 - 05-09-2023

Ya make them a faction anal boys for life stop playin hurry up and make them a faction

RE: Canal Boys application - vrman67 - 05-11-2023

+1 we need more street gangs it is just bland without them just Italians and Americans that’s it this is a wonderful application the back story has so much time in it the most beautiful app I have ever seen ?

RE: Canal Boys application - Skyzer - 05-14-2023

I think it is a good concept but for the recent bans that I looked into doesn't give me much confidence about the app. The story line is good, but I think the formatting could be better if it was on a google doc or word document. Sorry but it is a -1.

RE: Canal Boys application - Cortez - 05-21-2023

+1 this seems more than fair, besides, we need more Asian ethnicity in the city, allows for bio-diversity community, allowing for more opportunities

RE: Canal Boys application - God Tier - 05-21-2023

+1 because based and cool story